Monday 16 January 2012

Why on earth would i want to live in Bulgaria?

You know what? This is a question i've been asked a few times, not as you might have thought, by my English friends, but by Bulgarians themselves that i've 'met' on such sites as wayn.com (where are you now), and various others in my quest to exchange language skills and to make contacts/friends with for when i arrive over there for good in March.
So, why Bulgaria??
Well, just over a year ago i hadn't got the slightest clue that it existed i suppose, and i'd have been hard pressed to even suggest where it might be on a map. My best guess would have been that it's somewhere near Russia, and that's no joke (me not knowing where it was by the way, not the fact that it may be next to Russia)!
To cut a long story short, i'd set my heart on Spain with an ex partner, and i 'really really' had. We'd planned to be out of England by July 2011, on our way to a Spanish ruin somewhere inland from Malaga with me renovating and seeing to the land and building chalets for guests/campers, whilst she'd be building her business on site or in one of the many coastal resorts around her therapy/massage/personal development/hypnotherapy/counselling skills etc.
Well that never came to be but i still had the dream, i always have had, and i've realised far too late now that one of the main reasons i've not done it to date is because i've always yearned for someone in my life to build and share the dream with and to live it out together on that mad ride called life as one. That person is yet to appear, but appear she will, and it was never ever going to be anyone from England, i know that now....
So, i'd got some money in my pocket, lost who i thought was the love of my life, but more than that, our dream, and that very nearly ended me and bad went to worse for a while until i pieced myself (shakily) back together again. 
I had to still carry on with our plans, albeit on my own now,  but alone i couldn't see myself both buying and affording to renovate a place in Spain, so i started looking elsewhere, including Portugal that i missed out on some 20 odd years ago when my brother brought his place there, which brought me to yes, you guessed it, Ebay, the Diablo of all Diablos!!
Blinkin 'eck, places with over half an acre of land from two grand upwards i shouted, and nearly dropped through the floor! I reckon it was around 9 hrs from first seeing one posted. to going ahead and pushing that damn magic 'bid now' button, and hey presto, i was once again a house owner...in a land that i could barely place, using a language that i hadn't a cat in hell's chance of dechipering, but in a climate that seemed brill, with a race that seemed chilled out to the max, made their own wine and swapped produce with their neighbours, helped one another out, and from online descriptions  and reading, sounded like heaven on earth! 
It cost £2,100, and went as quick as it came, (more in my next post)!
So, two weeks later found me sitting on a Wizzair flight to Varna surrounded by funny little people that spoke Russian for all i could make out. So we eventually landed, and i had arrived on Bulgarian soil, or rather..tarmac.
Wow, just thinking back to that moment, walking from the plane to the arrival's hall in the blazing mid december sun, and i'm sitting here with a happy lump in my throat! 
That HAS to tell me something doesn't it, when you 'feel' it in your heart?
Time for coffee and memories right now i think, will carry on with this a little later in a week or so, for now i just have to 'get lost again' in the magic and promise of the photos i took of my new country and home........



9 comments:

  1. Wishing you the best of luck with your venture. We dream of one day being able to live in Bulgaria but it will be a few years yet. We have owned our house for nearly 7 years in the Veliko Tarnovo area. I look forward to reading about your new life. Sue

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, 7 years? You must be yearning to get back out there for good, and it'll happen if you 'make' it happen Sue :)
    We'll drink Raki and have a shopska in the future, make it sooner rather than later though :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are a natural mate, keep it up !.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha, i've never been 'natural', oh no, meant 'normal' lol!
    Just found out how to add the blog list 'widget' thing, just added you, thought i'd already done it by 'following' your blog, stupid me haha! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now you need to adjust the time on the posts !.I will add the two Bulgarian blogs on your blog.My Uncle Bulgaria musings are to do with anything that interests me about Bulgarian society and news, as well as anything else that I find newsworthy/topical in Europe and the UK.However I realise I neglect the Bulgarian daily life angle that many people find fascinating,so I will correct that now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great blog Mart xx will follow u on your journey and I wish u your success' in life become abundantly and regular! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. That should say 'come' abundantly and regular xx but u knew that

    ReplyDelete
  8. 'Come' abundantly' eh? :)
    Hmmm, you have a point re: time difference and i may see about changing it to BG time now that you've pointed it out thanks and hey, don't fret about the everyday life angle, it's only so fascinating for me at the mo because i have the time (not really though) to keep up with it and to get there asap, although i will do my best to keep it updated once over there which in the first place means getting internet connected etc.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Leone, just realised, is that 'the two of you' leone? If so, yay, you're now a blogger too! x

    ReplyDelete